We have been noticing that employers on Switch Idea regularly need Graphic Design interns for their companies. We believe that there is a great demand for a creative person who can wield digital magic with Photoshop.
This post is for those students who are interested in learning the basics of graphic design. Knowing to creatively articulate your or your team mates thoughts can be an asset in any communication focused organization that you choose to work for.
With this in mind, we have curated a list of free online resources which will help you take the first steps into the subject of graphic design. Check them out below.
Theory of Design:
- History of Graphic Design
- Classic Graphic Design Theory
- Color Theory
- Principles of Graphic Design
- The Role of Sketching in the Design Process
- The Basics Of Graphic Design
- Getting Started with Photoshop
- Photoshop’s Toolbox
- Photoshop’s Pen Tool: The Comprehensive Guide
- Photoshop’s Painting Tools
- Saving Images for the Web
- Using Palettes in Photoshop
- Photoshop For Beginners: The Power of Layers
- Layer Styles in Photoshop
- Photoshop 101 – Adjustment Layers
- A Comprehensive Introduction to the Type Tool
- Photoshop 101: How to Use the Free Transform Tool
- Master Photoshop Selection Tools in Under 30 Minutes
Source : A curated list from The Next Web
Note: We understand that Photoshop might be an expensive purchase for a student. Don’t worry, there are alternatives such as GIMP. It is free to download and use and is just as good as Adobe’s Photoshop even though it is not widely used in the industry. You can view all the GIMP tutorials in this link.
- How To Be Creative by Hugh MacLeod
- The Design Funnel: A Manifesto For Meaningful Design by Stephen Hay
- Why Design?
- Typo Tips – Seven Rules for Better Typography by Erik Spiekermann
- Type Classification by Jacob Cass
- Adobe CS6 Printing Guide
We hope you use these free resources to come up with some beautiful work. Do let us know how your learning is coming along. Cheers.